Saturday, May 21, 2011

How to take a few years off Mommy's life

So much has been going on, but once again I haven't had a chance to get to the computer to get it all into the blog but this I needed to get down as soon as possible. Aislinn had been doing great, she gained 2 pounds at her last Drs appointment, passed her hearing & eye test, was approved for services & starts school in 2 weeks. We are home 2 months, getting into a nice comfortable routine, starting to be able to breath again & then BAM Aislinn has a seizure.
Thursday night after I got done with work Aislinn & I took a walk around the neighborhood afterwards I fed Aislinn dinner (Andrew was finishing his last night of Thursday bowling) & got her ready for bed. By 8pm she was in & asleep by 8:15 & I was in bed by 9. At 10 Aislinn started coughing, I was watching on the video monitor & after a few moments she settle back down again. Around midnight, she was awake again & banging her toys about the crib. I got up to talk with her & got her settled back down quickly. Andrew still wasn't home so I put the TV on for a bit, around 2am I heard her again (I must of fallen asleep since the TV was off & Stew-be was in bed) I got up went in to change her, got her a bottle (thinking maybe she was thirsty) & sat with her reading a book. After 25 minutes, she was back in her crib. At this point I was trying to figure out what was going on. In the 10 weeks we have had her & the 2 months we had been home she never woke up like this thru out the night, The cough is from allergies (the dr said Claritin last Friday when we saw him),there was no fever & she was in great form when we had been reading the book, so I had no clue as to why she was having trouble with sleep. I feel back to sleep and a bit before 6 She was whining in her crib, Andrew got up to check on her ( I was watching in the monitor)he straighten her crib, put on her music & she laid back down. Normally I would of gotten up with her but due to her lack of sleep thru out the night plus we were meeting with the director of the school she is going to that morning I was OK with her being in the crib & I grabbed a few more zzzzzzz. At 7:45 I got up, all was quiet in her room so I popped my head in ( when we open her door in the morning she is all smiles, tilts her head to one side and say HIYA!) her room but she seem to be still sleeping, so I quickly got ready for the day & went back to her about 10 minutes later. When I got to the crib she was still laying on her stomach, her eyes open, but not making eye contact with me, I put down the side of the crib, & brushed the hair from her face & she didn't move. I called for Andrew & lifted her out of the crib. We placed her on the bed, her body was stiff, her neck turned to the left, eyes open & her breathing was very shallow( I didn't think she was breathing). I screamed at Andrew to call 911, & he ran for the phone, our Neighbor Larry was just coming out of his house So Andrew shouted for him (Larry is an MTA cop & volunteer fireman), he came running & I called 911 (Andrews hands were shaking) While I was on the phone with 911 her little body started twitching. Within minutes the police and exchange Ambulance was here, 6 guys come running into the house & up the stairs, I'm downstairs to get her medicines for the EMT (knew I would be asked but can never pronounce them) & I called the pediatrician I'm on the phone with the DR all the people they just went upstairs are coming back down with Aislinn & Andrew & running for the ambulances and moments later pulling away from the house. I quickly threw some clothes into the diaper bag (chipmunk was only in a diaper) a few bottles and her adoption paperwork (not sure what we would be asked in the hospital). Larry's wife Laura came over and offered to drive me to the hospital (at this point I was fine~ Calm~ I got upset when I first took her from the crib but then quickly got over it when I saw how bad Andrew was shaking) so I told her no thank you & left to drive to the hospital. We live about 10 minutes from one hospital that is part of the North Shore LIJ health system & 15 minutes from another that is part of Catholic Health Services that has an Pediatric ER (they had to take her to the closet hospital. As I walked into the ER I could hear her screaming, when I got to her she was in a total meltdown & poor stew-be was as white as a ghost. They took her information, said a blood test would be needed. I informed them that Aislinn has Epilepsy and what medicines she was on and asked if an EEG would be done on her, I was told no (she was already scheduled for one on June 28th) that they didn't see a need for one since it was and that it was probably a febrile seizure .While they were putting the IV in her for the blood drawn I went out to the waiting room to speak with my sister Jamie (Aislinn was still in daddy's arm & screaming) When I saw jamie I lost it. I have never been so scared in my whole life. At this point I had no clue as to what the next step would be, how long we would be there or if my daughter of 10 weeks was going to be ok. After I calmed down & spoke to Jamie for a bit, I told her to go home & that I would call her in a bit to tell her what was going on .I went back to Aislinn & Andrew & she was sitting quietly on her daddy's lap. A few minutes later the ER Dr came over & asked me when was the last time Aislinn had her medicine. I stated last night (she get her meds 2xs a day) He then looks a me at says "well there are no levels of medicine in her system." How could that be possible~ I go over what we did the day before & state she didn't have her dose of med this AM to which the Dr said ' Missing one dose would still leave a read on the test" give her a double dose of her medicine and you can go home" While this hospital might not good for some things (they took care of both my parents number of times pediatric medicine isn't there specialty~ this is also the hospital that after Andrew fell off a 20ft ladder & was rushed to the ER they were looking to let him go without so much as an X-ray). We were out of the hospital by 11am. The Chipmunk fell asleep as soon as we got her into her car seat.. We stopped to get bagels & see Aunt Kerri before getting home. Aislinn woke up when we pulled into the drive, ate a half of bagel, & was laying down asleep again by 1pm. While she was napping (& the video monitor was in my hand all afternoon) I made 2 phone calls, one to the pediatrician & the other to the neurologist, at both offices I was told I would hear back with in the hour & I did. Our pediatrician told me the levels of her med could of read 0 was because 1) we don't know how long she has been on these medicine, 2) her body could be getting use to it and the fact that she is growing could factor in (when we were in his office on the 13th her level was at a 1 & he was hoping that if she stayed symptom free the neurologist might be able to wean her off of at least one one the medicines)When the neurologist called she first asked "How was I doing?" she then went on to ask what happened. She upped Aislinn one medicine for now and is taking a wait & see approach (till after her EEG). She also stated that she was on call for the weekend so that if anyone happened I was to call & bring her back to the hospital (she did state that if I opt to call the ambulance they would once again take her to the closest hospital. I told her lesson learned, not that we have a clue as to have we are dealing with~ if this happens again Aislinn will be put into a car (after the seizure is over) and driven the extra few mile to the Pediatric ER for care.

Aunt Tina & Uncle Pete stopped over to check on the lil munk as did Aunt Kerri.. Rachael stopped over & I cried when she walked in (she was dressed for her Jr Prom). Aislinn slept thru all the visits. Around 5pm I woke her, she ate dinner, got a bath, and was back in bed for 8pm. As exhausted as I was I didn't get much sleep on Friday night but the Chipmunk woke up this morning as of nothing happened.

As Always Be Good & Be Safe


This is an account of our lifes as we head down the path of life towards our first child. An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break." --An ancient Chinese belief

DTC 4/20/07...LID4/26/07. ...Referral 5/27/10~Waiting for our TA...Aislinn Day is March 6,2011

RockYou FunNote - Get Your Own

Girly Comments & Graphics

Myspace Comments
Myspace Comments @
Photobucket Myspace Comments
Myspace Comments @
Sign my Guestbook from Get your Free Guestbook from

Girly Comments & Graphics


Terror Alert Level

Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!
Get awesome blog templates like this one from